Part-Time Employees Purchasing Benefits
Enrollment Facts and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
It’s Benefits Enrollment Time!!!
Part-time Employees Purchasing Benefits:
Open Enrollment Dates: December 5 – December 11, 2018
Period of Coverage Dates: January 1 – December 31, 2019
(Pending Successful Bargaining, Union Ratification and Board Approval)
At this time, open enrollment dates applies to the unions that have had successful negotiations.
Cigna Healthcare rates and plan design changes are pending final negotiations and ratification with the Unions and Board Approval.
- Davis Vision WILL NOT be offered for the 2019 plan year. If you are currently enrolled in the Davis Vision plan, your coverage will terminate on December 31, 2018. We will continue to offer vision coverage through UnitedHealthcare.
- If you do not re-enroll during this Open Enrollment period the following will occur:
- Your current healthcare coverage will continue; plan design changes will automatically be adjusted.
- Your dependent(s) healthcare coverage will continue, plan design changes will automatically be adjusted.
- Yours and your dependent(s)’ flexible benefits will continue, with the exception of Davis Vision; premium changes will automatically be adjusted.
- You will be receiving monthly billing invoices reflecting your 2019 benefits.
- Dependent Coverage
- You can add your eligible dependent during this enrollment period and you will have to submit dependent documentation for each dependent.
- You can terminate your dependent coverage, but you will not be able to re-enroll the dependent until the next Open Enrollment provided you have maintained your enrollment in a School Board sponsored healthcare plan. You can add a dependent throughout the year if experiencing a qualifying change in status event.
- If you are covering your dependent, you must indicate your dependent’s social security number and provide documentation of proof of eligibility, if not previously submitted. If not, your dependent coverage may be terminated.
- You and your dependent must be enrolled in the same healthcare plan.
- Termination of Employment
- If you are no longer employed by the School Board, you will be provided the opportunity to continue your benefits in accordance with the Federal COBRA Law. You will be provided the ability to continue your medical, dental and/or vision plan if active and paid up to date at the time of termination.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the question to view the answer
What is the Open Enrollment Period?
The Open Enrollment period is a period of time, determined by your employer, during which you are allowed to make any changes to your current benefits.
When are benefits for the new plan year effective and for how long?
The benefits are effective January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019.
Do I need to enroll?
No. This is a changes only enrollment. However, Davis Vision WILL NOT be offered for the 2019 plan year. If you are currently enrolled in the Davis Vision plan, your coverage will terminate on December 31, 2018. We will continue to offer vision coverage through UnitedHealthcare.
If you are not making any changes to your current healthcare and/or Flexible Benefits, you do not need to return an enrollment form. Your current coverage and your dependent(s)’ coverage will continue, with the exception of Davis Vision. Healthcare plan design changes and Flexible Benefits premium changes will automatically be adjusted. The cost of these benefits will not be deducted from your paycheck. Payment coupons will be automatically sent for your monthly premiums.
What changes can I make during this enrollment period?
You could change your current medical plan, add an eligible dependent or delete a currently covered dependent.
How do I enroll?
Your open enrollment will take place on paper. You must request, complete and return the form by December 11, 2018.
To obtain a healthcare benefits enrollment package, contact Miami-Dade County Public Schools:
1-305-995-2883, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET.
To obtain a flexible benefits enrollment form, contact FBMC Service Center:
1-855-MDC-PS4U (1-855-632-7748), Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET.
Can I enroll in Accidental Death & Dismemberment Coverage?
Yes, except if you are represented by the AFSCME labor union. AFSCME employees CAN NOT enroll in this benefit.
Open Enrollment Facts & FAQs
FBMC Service Center
Mon - Fri,
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET /
Seven days a week